Featured Post

15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibit Fallbrook Art Center

The 15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibition opens this weekend (Mar 16-Apr.14) at THE Fallbrook Art Center. This prestigio...

Monday, October 11, 2010

On My Book shelf: Color by Victoria Finlay

I've read this book about 5 times. It is a mixture of adventure travel, history and science and traces the use of pigments from the prehistoric use of oxides and ochers through sources in the natural world (carmine came from insects) to the synthesis of modern chemically based color. I like knowing where the pigments came from and the journey Victoria went on is a refreshing read for a mostly armchair traveler.

4 comments:

Bill Cone said...

Sounds interesting! I'm gonna order one. Thanks for the
write up on it.

b.

Robin Purcell said...

I think you'll like it,let me know. You could borrow mine but it is in disgraceful condition.....

kathy said...

I have to get my copy and finish it, I was up to purple. I'd also recommend Mauve by Simon Garfied.

Robin Purcell said...

I have deleted links to amazon because I am no longer an associate.