Featured Post

15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibit Fallbrook Art Center

The 15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibition opens this weekend (Mar 16-Apr.14) at THE Fallbrook Art Center. This prestigio...

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New Series, California Wildflowers(Poppies) on Hills

 Greenest Hills 12 x 21


Poppy Patterns 14 x 21



Poppy Hill II 12 x 16


Poppy Hill I 14 x 14
 With the increased rains this winter , I am looking forward to getting out there and hunting for fields of wildflowers. These paintings are so fun to do.Finding a rhythmn and varying shapes and colors so they are similar and different at the same time is the key. I usually stand out there singing something badly to give myself a rhythm.( never wear an Ipod when painting roadside, it isn't safe! )  All except Poppy Patterns were done en plein air.
Poppy Patterns is the studio painting based on Poppy Hill II. There were some interesting challenges in scaling it up. The trees which were large enough to work as a design element in the smaller painting sat there on the horizon like two isolated dark holes in the paper. They needed another dark element (the lavender hill) to organize the darks into a workable composition.
If anyone knows of some particularly lovely stands of wildflowers out there in the east bay hills, please let me know. Although lovely, the mustard is invasive and a kind of obnoxious unvarying yellow!

6 comments:

peggy gatto said...

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Cynthia Nicole said...

Those are beautiful!

Marian Fortunati said...

Love them all, Robin... as I always do, but love Poppy Patterns I the best of all!!!
I can't wait until our poppies come out!!

Robin Purcell said...

Thank you Peggy and Cynthia! Marian ,since Poppy Patterns is the last, it is MY favorite also. I am thinking of trying these smaller like 6 x 6.....

Lorraine Watry, NWS said...

Hi Robin,
I am a new follower - I love these poppy paintings! I can just imagine what it looks like to see the real thing! Your colors are lovely - they just sing. When you plein-air paint, do you paint the whole scene in one sitting or do you go back?

Robin Purcell said...

Hi Lorraine , sorry I didn't answer, it really depends, I usually stay 2 hours and go back again during the same time if I need to. Since we live in a mediterranean climate, it stays the same from day to day.