October Light 12 x 16 was painted along the back roads in the valley between Danville and just north of Livermore, I was supposed to go paint in the vineyards, but these backlit oaks were too exciting to pass by. A return to almost pure plein air, the early morning light made this a joy to paint in lavender and burnt orange.
California has always been a mythic land of sunshine that stirred my imagination. A fortunate set of influences helped me arrive at my own style of interpreting the California Landscape. I was probably permanently warped by doing paint by numbers as a child. I fell hard for the work of the early California Impressionists, particularly Granville Redmond and William Wendt. Their work helped me to see the landscape as shapes. It is much easier for me to control hard edges with watercolor while painting outdoors. These factors led me to develop a style that simplifies what I see and organizes it into shimmering patches of color. I am a Plein Air Painter who goes outside to see colors and shapes from life so that I can change them in ways feel true to me and express my personal artistic vision.
Selected Juried exhibits, awards and publications: First Prize
Watercolor 79th Annual Statewide Exhibit of Contemporary Landscape
Painters, Juried by Kevin MacPherson, Ones to Watch, Watercolor Artist
Magazine, Dec 2007 issue • Sonoma Plein Air 2010 2009 and 2007, Napa
Valley Museum 2007 Northern Views Exhibit. North Light Books "Splash
11"2010 "Splash 10 " 2008 and “Splash 9” 2006, biennial collections of
the best in Watercolor. Carmel Art Festival, Honorable Mention
Awards,2009, 2007 and 2006. California Watercolor Association National
• CWA National Exhibit 2006, The Jerry Little Award
• CWA National Exhibit 2004, The Jade Fon Asilomar Award
• William Lester Gallery Invitational Point Reyes Plein Air Paint Out,
•“Local Voice” Exhibit at The Bedford Gallery 2008(Award) and 2005
• Triton Museum of Art Statewide Watercolor Biennial
• Valley Art Gallery “Slopes of Diablo” Exhibit (Second Award)
• Artist Member of the California Art Club, as of December 2008.
• Signature Membership California Watercolor Association 2007
• Signature Membership National Watercolor Society 2007