Featured Post

15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibit Fallbrook Art Center

The 15th Annual Signature Watermedia International Exhibition opens this weekend (Mar 16-Apr.14) at THE Fallbrook Art Center. This prestigio...

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Plein Air Watercolor "Tree Pose"

Tree Pose 12 x 16
One of my goals is to get more skilled at painting oak trees both for my panoramic paintings and because this fall I have been studying the way the different oaks change in the fall. So I've started a series of tree portraits to get to know them.
There are valley oaks, coastal oaks, hillside oaks  golden oaks and blue oaks, I don't know much about botany, but this is how I think of them. This oak is isolated on a patch of ranchland near where I live and reminded me of the yoga pose because of it's balanced masses and outstretched branches.

3 comments:

Helen Percy Lystra said...

I really like the way you handled the foliage on this oak. Good idea to study them and painting is the best way I know to do it.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I think this is one of my favourites of yours. What a strong tree and a bold depiction of the foliage. I love it.

Robin Purcell said...

Thank you, I think of these as tree portraits because it helps me see them.